Re: [logs] immutable bit

From: Drew (simonisat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 06:50:34 PST

    Steve Wray wrote:

    > I had to think about this one for a bit, but
    > I may have the repudiation of this claim.
    >
    > Its possible to set up a Linux system so that
    > it runs from a CDROM. Coyote and freesco are two
    > examples of this sort of thing.
    >
    > In such a case, not even root would be able to
    > change things (Assuming, of course, that its not
    > a rewritable CD in a rewriter. Duh).
    >
    > Try that with NT.
    >
    > I *suppose* that one could have a bootable floppy that
    > would reimage a hard drive from an image on the cdrom...?

    My PC can boot from CD-Rom, can't yours?  But to the point that
    any of this is relevant to the collection and analysis of log
    data, I don't think the real interest would be in setting a file,
    group of files, or entire filesystems as immutable.  If you want
    to store log files in an immutable manner, use a worm disk or CD-R,
    or one of the dozens of other solutions possible.  The real crux of
    the issue is if Solaris supports an append-only mode, which it does
    not.