Re: [logs] Queuing of remote logging

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 23:27:04 PST

    On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 04:58:12PM +0100, Tycho Fruru wrote:
    > Only caveat is that you have to stop the network part from sending out the
    > messages whenever it's inconvenient.  (stoppig the process works like a
    > charm ;-) Messages will then remain in the outbound queue.
    	OK, I've grovelled through the source, and it appears that
    ipfc on the client side has two daemons--one that reads the logfiles and
    converts them into XML files in a queue directory, and then another that
    scans that directory every ten seconds (well, with a ten second interval
    between scans), and attempts to use LWP::Agent to push any XML records
    found to the listening daemon on the loghost, deleting those records that
    are successfully pushed.  If that's true, why would you need to stop the
    process (other than not wasting resources if you know that you'll be
    offline for a while, and not filling the ipfc logs with messages about
    failed connect attempts)?

    	-- Sweth.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
    svcat_private      http://www.idiopathic.net/