[logs] time-characteristic monitoring/analysis syntaxes

From: Jon Stearley (jrstearat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 12:28:05 PST

    i'm working on a system to discover patterns (text and time) in logs,
    and am looking for a monitoring/analysis syntax which supports this
    info.

    ie- some messages are highly periodic (ie- avg period with small
    stddev), no news there.  some message sequences are time-correlated (a
    follows b, then c, then d..., with similar avg&stddev stats on each
    interval).  what monitoring/analysis toolsets are available in which
    one can enumerate and utilize such time-characteristic info?

    on a more general note, what characteristics are people using and
    wishing to use in their loganalysis (ie- content via regexps,
    time-characteristics, interhost cross-correlations, etc)?  what syntax
    does/would support all all aspects we're interested in?

    thx and g'dday!