[logs] NT/2K syslog client follow-up

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 12:50:37 PDT

    To everyone who responded with input to my original
    post, thanks.  I know for many, the whole idea of why
    you'd want to use syslogging, or which is the server
    and which is the client can be confusing, but I
    appreciate all the responses I received.

    As a follow-up, the issue didn't seem to be the
    clients after all, but rather the server.  SL4NT had
    already been installed and was running.  In reviewing
    the configuration, it had been set up to collect
    syslog only from one specific IP address.  Once I
    uninstalled Kiwi (which is a great product that I've
    used before, and seems to be a bit more configurable
    than SL4NT...for example, you can have it email you
    syslog statistics only), and made the necessary config
    changes to SL4NT, things went smoothly.

    A couple of lessons that I'll pass on (and if someone
    can correct what I've seen, that would be great):

    1.  Each client is different.  I installed
    EventReporter on my workstation, and NTSyslog on
    another system.  This makes for interesting log files,
    as the two have different information in their
    messages.  For example, NTSyslog send the event ID in
    hex, while EventReporter sends it as a number (528,
    538, etc), but in a different location.

    2.  None of the clients I've tried will go through the
    EventLog and send out any current events in syslog
    messages.  Therefore, while the events are sent off of
    the box, they also remain in the local system's
    EventLog.

    3.  EventReporter's default polling time is 60
    seconds.  Which means it doesn't send out entries as
    they arrive.  The polling interval can be reduced, but
    the Win32 API that "watches" for new events doesn't
    really consume a great deal of CPU time.

    4.  In order to get what I want with regards to 2 & 3,
    I guess I'm going to have to "roll my own", as it
    were.  ;-)

    Again, thanks for everyone's replies.  Once I get
    further into email alerting and parsing, I'll provide
    more info.