RE: [logs] msyslog, mysql and real time alerts

From: Jason Lewis (jlewisat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 12:35:16 PDT

    > I've thought about it myself.  Sure would save me time if you did it
    > :).
    >
    > I use central syslog server plus logcheck to get daily reports, but a
    > DB plus frontend would be nice.  I haven't seen any other free tools
    > that put it all together.
    >
    > Owen
    I am totally shocked by the lack of response.  Here is what I really want
    to build.

    A system that can free up my time as a sysadmin.  Automating tasks that are
    time consuming.

    -All daemon messages are processed by scripts.  Alerting me to potential
    problems. Disk space, cron errors, failed logins, etc.  This could be local
    or centralized.

    -Syslog is processed centrally for the same reasons as above.  If I dump
    things into a mysql DB, i think I could run reports easier and faster.

    -Realtime alerting on syslog.  I haven't found anything that will do this
    through mysql, I may have to go strictly with log file parsing for this.
    (swatch, logcheck, etc)

    -Report generation.  Suits like reports.  I can justify my existence by
    producing meaningful reports.

    I have more ideas, but that is the basics.  SysAdmin Magazine has an
    interesing article about automating system status and tasks via email.
    This coudl be dangerous, but the author seems to have thought of most
    everything.  It isn't available on the web, so sorry no link.

    I have done extensive searching and I can't find anything like this that is
    already done and available. (Open Source)  Some of the things are available
    in parts.

    Is anyone aware of some kind of app/script to automatically pull data from
    mysql and perform actions based on events?  That is core to what I am doing
    and I can't find examples.

    Some of this is out of scope of the list, but log analysis is key to the
    entire goal.

    Jason Lewis
    http://www.packetnexus.com