Re: [logs] [ESA-20020423-009] webalizer contains a potentially exploitable buffer overflow (fwd)

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 22:06:15 PDT

    On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:03:04PM -0500, Tina Bird wrote:
    > the destination buffer (child_buf) ist 128 bytes big and bind (bind 4 on
    > openbsd 2.8 does) limits the size of the hostname to 64 bytes. even
    > MAXHOSTNAMELEN on Linux (and other Unix like systems) is just 64 bytes.
    > so i think there is no real danger by this _possible_ buffer overflow.
    	Actually, BIND is smart enough to limit the size of the
    hostname to MAXHOSTNAMELEN-1 (since 4.9.5-P1, released about 5 years
    ago); there are many Unices (Solaris and (I believe) AIX, for example)
    that define MAXHOSTNAMELEN as 256, however, so there _is_ some danger.
    And there _are_ other resolvers out there...

    	-- Sweth.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
    svcat_private      http://www.idiopathic.net/