Re: [logs] Re: Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 15:18:01 PDT

    On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 05:36:05PM -0400, Steve wrote:
    > I've been working on understanding the Perl module Parse::RecDescent
    > for just such a thing.  I suspect it would be possible to create a
    > stockpile of its "grammars" for many established log formats, and then
    > people would have an easier time modifying it for new formats.
    	That's a large part of what I've got so far; the problems
    I'm running into are scalability/performance ones--Parse::RecDescent is
    a beautiful beast, but not a very fast one at all.  Marcus was doing his
    version in C, which for performance reasons makes a lot of sense, so I
    was thinking that perhaps someone else might be able to pick up that
    path.  Perhaps a good way to start would be to ignore the implementation
    issues for now, and just start building a stockpile of grammars as you
    suggest; it should be relatively easy to convert a well-formed grammar to
    a lex/yacc syntax, yes?  (I don't know, as my C skills are less than
    stellar and I've never actually used lex/yacc.)
    	(I also started a conversation this morning with Damian
    Conway and Mark-Jason Dominus about a faster way to implement a parser
    in Perl, using iteration rather than recursion; it might be a long time
    before that pans out, but if it does, maybe Perl could remain a valid
    option as well.)

    	-- Sweth.

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
    svcat_private      http://www.idiopathic.net/