[logs] Re: Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Steve (thompson+logsat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 14:36:05 PDT

    Sweth,

    I've been working on understanding the Perl module Parse::RecDescent
    for just such a thing.  I suspect it would be possible to create a
    stockpile of its "grammars" for many established log formats, and then
    people would have an easier time modifying it for new formats.

    I can't contribute much more right now than the reference, and the
    reference to the article I learned about the module:

      Schwartz, Randal, "Parsing Interesting Things," _SysAdmin_, 10:12,
        Dec. 2001, p. 24, maybe www.sysadminmag.com somewhere...

    En paz,
    Steve

    Sweth <svcat_private> wrote:

    [snip]
    > I had been meaning to
    > extend that to a more universal implementation for a while, but I just
    > haven't had the time
    [snip]