Re: [logs] Re: Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Sweth Chandramouli (loganalysisat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 19:22:47 PDT

    On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 03:47:08PM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    > I think we can agree that parsing log data into some kind of
    > predictable data dictionary - with regular field names and
    > so forth - has value. That's a really hard problem and a lot of
    > folks _think_ that's what XML solves, but really all XML does
    > is standardize a tagging layout. *yawn* There's no difference
    > between:
    >
    > <record>
    > <month>12</month>
    > <day>05</day>
    > <host>whumpus.ranum.com</host>
    > ...etc...
    > </record>
    >
    > and
    >
    > beginrec
    > month=12
    > day=05
    > host=whumpus.ranum.com
    > endrec
    	This assumes that your data structure consists entirely of
    attribute-value pairs.  Once you start getting more complex nested
    data structures, XML _can_ make things easier.  Well-defined XML docs,
    moreover, have DTD requirements that make them self-documenting, which
    traditional "ini file" layouts usually aren't.  But XML isn't a panacea
    by any means, and it's often assumed that the simple act of tagging data
    with XML automatically makes the data well-structured.

    	Sweth's First Axiom of Data Analysis:  Grok the data, THEN
    format it.

    	(Sweth's Adjunct Hypothesis: Grokking the data often
    requires multiple failed attempts to format it.)

    	-- Sweth, leaving the definition of grok as an exercise
    for the reader.  :)

    --
    Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
    svcat_private      http://www.idiopathic.net/