Re: [logs] Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:47:07 PDT

    >How are we going to parse logs that represent a single event in multiple
    >lines. For example the case of qmail where for an event "an email
    >send" generates multiple entries in logs. This gets more interesting when
    >we have a central log collector for multiple qmail servers in the network.

    This was what I was working on with Fargo's coalesce rules. Basically,
    you could say something like:
            take all events occurring within 3 hours of eachother that
            contain a sendmail queue-ID that matches the queue-ID in
            a stat=sent message and combine it with other stat=messages
            that have the same message-ID.
    The algorithm to do this without using tons of CPU and memory is
    non-trivial but not awful. What you need to be able to do is parse
    a log message into abstract values (host=   queue-id=   etc) and
    then match for matching values of those abstract values.
            (event1:queue-id == event2:queue-id) &&
            (event2:message-id == event3:message-id)
    Then when you've done the match you just preserve the values that
    you want from any of the matched event records.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private