Re: [logs] Generic Log Message Parsing Tool

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 19:03:03 PDT

    Well it's been a fascinating discussion (thanks Marcus and Sweth et.al.)

    I've kept my head down for most of the discussion because I could see
    that others knew far more about the basic issues than I did.  Marcus was
    quite right in his suggestion that I was attacking the problem at the
    wrong level and that what was needed at the moment was to understand
    just what the fundamental issues were.

    While looking at the books on my shelf this morning a thought occurred
    to me:  Has anyone considered ICON http://www.cs.arizona.edu/icon/ as a
    possible implementation language for a log parser?  Almost certainly
    not!

    ICON is the brainchild of Ralph Griswold (one of the authors of Snobol
    -- yes, I'm showing my age, does anyone else remember Snobol?)  ICON is
    a great langage for building parsers, it is interpretive and has
    powerful string manipulation facilities built in.  It also has the
    concept or goal evaluation and backtracking built into the language.
    There is a section of ["The ICON Programming Language" by Griswold and
    Griswold; Prenice Hall; ISBN 0-13-447889-4] devoted to writing parsers
    in the chapter on "strings and pattern matching".

    ICON is free and available for both UNIX and Windows.

    To me it seems a good choice, the language is more flexible than REs
    although with the flexibility comes complexity and since you have
    control over the backtracking you need to know what you are doing to use
    it effectively.  But if there is one thing that has come out of this
    discussion it is that whatever tools we us whoever does it is going to
    need to deal with complex parsing issues.

    The down side, of course is that it is relatively unknown and (so far as
    I know) does not have a wide support base like perl, python etc.

    Lastly I have passed the suggest to our Software Engineering School that
    this would make a good project for a 4th year or a masters project.  One
    of the lectures has said he would be happy to supervise it and it has
    been added to the list of possible topics for next year.

    The recent discussions on this list will provide a very useful starting
    point for a student who wants to persue this project.