Re: [logs] syslog timestamp format

From: Christian Hammers (chat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 15:13:38 PDT

    Hi

    On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 08:31:54PM +0100, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
    > > Assuming iptables uses klogd to log its messages to /var/log/messages, is
    > > there a way to specifiy the format of the timestamp that klogd prepends to a
    > > log message? The logging daemon is prepending a timestamp of "MMM dd
    > > hh:mm:ss", but I need to have the "yyyy" in the timestamp as well.
    >
    > The standard (cf. RFC3164) output is Mmm dd hh:mm:ss. (as you say) But you
    > could change the output of syslogd or klogd by changing the source code.

    I configured my syslog-ng which receives remote logs from several hosts to
    log into files named:	/var/log/remote/www.westend.com.2002-06-15
    Syslog-ng automatically changes the date at midnight. Using this logformat
    you cat deduct the year by the filename.
    It's more comfortable than /var/log/syslog.2 anyways...

    HTH,

    -christian-

    --
    Christian Hammers    WESTEND GmbH - Aachen und Dueren     Tel 0241/701333-0
    chat_private     Internet & Security for Professionals    Fax 0241/911879