Re: [logs] OT: 'Automated Log Analysis'

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 09:13:09 PDT

    On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, NixGuru wrote:

    > Simply gzip your log file, mail it as an attachment to
    > loggerat_private, and a result will be returned shortly. Usually
    > within minutes, depending on current load. The Logfile will be deleted
    > upon successfull analysis. No records will be kept regarding your
    > logs, e-mail addresses etc. The report contains, for example:

    <content deleted for brevity>

    greetz -- Presumably your application works if I send you anonymized data?
    I would much rather do the work of writing a script to hide my IP
    addresses and other confidential information than to send my confidential
    information to someone I don't know over unencrypted email.

    If you're looking for real beta testers, you'd probably be well advised to
    announce a beta program that includes non-disclosure agreements and the
    like.  If you can get useful results out of anonymized data, say so, and
    let people know how to usefully anonymize their data.

    And readers, if you've got a Web server that is >>vulnerable<< to any of
    the "flavour of the day" attacks -- or that returns successful download
    codes to, oh, directory traversals or buffer overflows -- you probably
    don't want to send that information to an unknown email address.

    tbird
    wondering if she should have killed that posting...