Re: [logs] OT: 'Automated Log Analysis'

From: NixGuru (nixguruat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 09:37:11 PDT

    On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Tina Bird wrote:

    <snip>

    > tbird
    > wondering if she should have killed that posting...

    </snip>

    Thanks for letting it through!

    In essence, skepticism is what tightens security.

    I assure you, I have taken all measures possible to ensure that none
    of the information received will be disclosed in any way, other than
    to myself and the sender. I just would like 'real life' log files, to
    see if the analysis is actually useful.

    My idea is that those who do not have the resources to write their own
    log analysis routines, may want an analysis performed 'off site'. It's
    at least better than not looking in your logs at all. Judging by the
    examples received so far, ugly things are going on that would have
    passed by undetected.

    As someone said, sending log files in plain text is not a good idea.
    But there is the possibility to use PGP, as stated on the site.
    PGP-key is there too.  However, I agree with a few comments I received
    - I would also be sceptical to sending logfiles to a basically
    anonymous account. But I have my reasons for doing so.

    Thanks

    nix