Re: [logs] Logs & the great unification theory

From: Stefano Zanero (stefano.zaneroat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 14:55:37 PDT

    > Byron Collie and Kymie Tan presented a paper in which they
    > described some uses of NNs for anomaly detection.

    This particular paper wasn't in my small collection, thanks for the link :-)

    > been seriously underwhelmed by most of the NN in IDS papers I've
    > seen.

    Me too. This is why I decided to give it a try. Most of the papers I have
    seen are packed full of proposals and hopes, and with very little practical
    approaches to real, even small-scale problems.

    > In my experience NNs are the _first_ thing that IDS newbies think
    > of trying...

    Of course. But they soon discover that NNs are not black magic. There's a
    lack of understanding of the inherent limits of a neural network in most of
    the papers I've seen. Just to reassure you - I do not believe in magic. Not
    when I'm not rolling RPG dice, at least :-)

    However, this is not exactly my first hand-to-hand with the Beast. As a true
    newbie I examined the rule-based approaches with a small project of my own
    (in CLIPS). Then I examined behavioral approaches, applying ethological
    concepts to the field and modelization with HMMs. I will present my work
    tomorrow at a small meeting here in Italy, and I will happily send you the
    complete paper as soon as I have time to finish it with full details of the
    algorithms. In the meanwhile I conceived of giving also a try to the neural
    network algorithm, and I am envisioning quite a different approach than
    usual, using unsupervised learning and clusterization techniques.

    > > is it possible to
    > >"reverse map" the output of such a neural network system to give alerts
    of
    > >any practical value ?
    >
    > That'd be a very interesting accomplishment!

    Indeed !

    > How will you do that without
    > a knowledge base or expert system?

    Why should I work without a knowledge base ? A statistical approach of most
    kinds has been integrated in a wide range of projects based on expert system
    (IDES and STAT module, for instance. There are others but I do not have my
    notes at hand at the moment).

    An integrated approach is surely one of the possible outcomes of my
    research.

    On the other hand it is completely possible that useful information can be
    drawn directly from the network output. I'm unaware of successful research
    in the field (but I'm still reading and searching), but "never done" or
    "never tried" does not mean "impossible". Otherwise, we work in a field with
    an awful load of "impossible" machinery...

    > And if you have a knowledge base,

    We have used and researched knowledge based IDSes for years - we know their
    usefulness
    and their limits. As I said in my premise - I am not willing to "compare"
    the two approaches. They are complementary, as anyone here knows. They
    simply look for different things - and they should do exactly that. We are
    packed full of knowledge bases for intrusion detection - and in the usual
    meaning, "research" means trying to find out new ways for doing things.

    And failing, should that be the case, with an explanation of why something
    doesn't work.

    > Well, I don't think anomaly detection systems work for meaningful
    > values of "work"

    On the contrary, it is my opinion that an anomaly detection approach must be
    integrated with misuse detection, to make an IDS "work" with any meaningful
    value of "work". Just grab and compile ADMutate
     http://www.ktwo.ca/security.html ) if you need a proof that misuse
    detection is quite hopelessly limited.

    Stefano