Re: [logs] Logs & the great unification theory

From: Rajkumar S. (listuserat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 13:38:31 PDT

Hi,

One more paper that I came across while chasing the link Marcus gave,

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa98/full_papers/girardin/girardin_html/girardin.html

This uses self organizing maps and visualization techniques to present the
logged information to a human. The visualization part is interesting. I
believe that "anomaly" is best detected by human analysts, but assisted by
tools that make it possible to "see" the relationships that exists in the
logged information.

Any more information about using visualization for monitoring logs? Any
idea about the software developed by the paper's authors?

raj

--

A Visual Approach for Monitoring Logs

Luc Girardin and Dominique Brodbeck - UBS, Ubilab

Abstract

Analyzing and monitoring logs that portray system, user, and network
activity is essential to meet the requirements of high security and
optimal resource availability. While most systems now possess satisfactory
logging facilities, the tools to monitor and interpret such event logs are
still in their infancy.

This paper describes an approach to relieve system and network
administrators from manually scanning sequences of log entries. An
experimental system based on unsupervised neural networks and spring
layouts to automatically classify events contained in logs is explained,
and the use of complementary information visualization techniques to
visually present and interactively analyze the results is then discussed.

The system we present can be used to analyze past activity as well as to
monitor real-time events. We illustrate the system's use for event logs
generated by a firewall, however it can be easily coupled to any source of
sequential and structured event logs.