Re: [logs] discussion of BIND logging

From: Bennett Todd (betat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 06:10:38 PDT

    2002-07-22-20:43:05 Tina Bird:
    > if anyone out there has ideas about why there's so much duplication of
    > functionality, i'd love to know!

    "Has ideas" invites speculation. I'll consider myself invited:-).
    Perhaps it would be better though to ask if anybody _knows_ why....

    Meanwhile, on the speculation front, I'd theorize that BIND 9 was
    written using large-system specification and design strategies,
    where every bit of functionality that anybody could ever want in any
    circumstance was tossed into the spec, then a herd of coders was
    directed to stampede and thunder about the spec. When the dust
    settles, you should have a program.

    A DNS serving system designed along lean, modular lines can be very
    compact and simple, but it ends up constraining the way it's
    deployed, and imposing support requirements on the system around it.
    For people who want that style of implementation, with little
    redundancy, simple administration, great security and performance,
    etc., <URL:http://www.djbdns.org/> merits a good look.

    BIND 9 was probably specified to deliver identical functionality
    regardless of the platform on which it was deployed, those to
    include systems lacking syslog. That'd be my guess, anyway.

    -Bennett