AW: [logs] discussion of BIND logging

From: Lubomir.Nistorat_private
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 02:38:34 PDT

    Well, although I'm not BIND author or developer:

    my understanding is that there's always compatibility with syslog.
    (should be..)
    and that you can send a lot of messages with various syslog priorities
    to different files...

    Splitting all the info to channels makes sense, because you can separate
    roles:
    -sysadmins receive errors from daemon and system
    -dns admins receive errors from zone compilation and other DNS probs..

    Also I think the main reason is to separate debug info from standard
    syslog messages..
    (you can debug more apps on one system this way)

    as I was testing Bind9 with debug on it produced 3-4 pages just by
    starting.. and I used it on a standalone system.. (no zone transfers, no
    dns requests, no notifies, no auth..)
    with zone-transfers&co you get this junk every moment and it makes sense
    to separate it from standard syslog output (fx. info -> file crit,
    err->syslog), unless you want your logs filled pretty fast :)

    kr
    lubo