[logs] Re: Central Log Server

From: Jason Royes (jasonat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 11:53:51 PDT

    Nick Starai wrote:

    > I'm working on setting up a central log server. I've lurked around the

    > links at http://www.counterpane.com/log-analysis.html#infrastructure
    > several times and setup central logging using 'The Logging Project'.
    It
    > was fairly simple to setup, but it seemed to be dropping or throttling

    > some messages. I would tail both log files and see not all of the
    original
    > making it over. Was not to pleased with it. I see there are several
    > simple ways as doing *.*        @hostname using syslogd, but i want to
    do
    > all my web logs too. There are several central links, but I was just
    > wondering on opinions from the list users of what works best for them.
    The
    > servers are linux/freebsd. Thanks!
    >
    > Nick Starai
    > Network Administrator
    > ItsYourDomain.com
    > 1005 W. Wise Road
    > Schaumburg, IL  60193
    > http://www.itsyourdomain.com

    Nick,

    Stale (in tlp 0.8) does not work correctly on FreeBSD because it does
    not call clearerr on the monitored file pointer after bleeding data.
    I'm guessing you were monitoring a FreeBSD box, saw messages transferred
    initially but did not see anything after the initial transferr.
    Stale works fine on Linux and Solaris. This issue will be resolved in
    0.9.
    You can manually patch it quite easily be adding the following in the
    bf() function and re-compiling:

    if (br) {
        clearerr(f);
        fflush(stdout);