Re: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 08:00:03 PDT

    Darren Reed wrote:
    >Would you like to see log records in XML ?  (That's not a joke.)

    I carefully chose my words when I said "tokens" - I don't
    think that with log messages you probably need nesting; that's
    easily applied afterwards or by linking events on an event-ID.
    So there's no big difference between:
    <logmsg>
    <srchost>iorek.ranum.com</srchost>
    <targethost>silverserver</targethost>
    <targetpath>http://www.ranum.com>
    </logmsg>

    and:
    srchost=iorek.ranum.com
    targethost=silverserver
    targetpath=

    The differences are only that in one case you have to escape
    '<'  '>' and in the other you have to escape '\n' - once the
    data is compressed it's not even a space issue.

    Defining a dictionary of tokens is easy. Last time I tried,
    Paul Robertson and I did it over lunch. So it couldn't take
    the IETF more than 4 years or so...  ;)   The trick is making
    things open-ended enough, avoiding typing, keeping it from
    getting over-engineered, etc.

    What you do is define a small (Paul and I had, what, 20?)
    shall I post it?  set of tokens and instruct code-writers to
    make as much sense of them as possible. If they have their own
    tokens that are application-specific, they just use them.
    It'd be a huge step forward.

    >i.e. the IETF (amongst others) long neglected this area and is only
    >just getting around to formally documenting syslog and some trivial
    >enhancements for that, so it would be way too soon to rule out further
    >progress that might quite likely define a logging protocol nothing
    >like syslog (or any of the TCP syslog things) today.

    Logging protocols are easy. Getting everything to log in a sensible
    dictionary of tokens requires touching every application. That's the
    barn door/horse relationship I was referring to. ;)

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private