Re: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Chris Adams (cadamsat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 11:19:36 PDT

    On Tuesday, August 20, 2002, at 08:00 , Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
    > The differences are only that in one case you have to escape
    > '<'  '>' and in the other you have to escape '\n' - once the
    > data is compressed it's not even a space issue.

    I would argue that there is a major difference - using a homegrown
    scheme means everyone needs another parser. Using XML means that we
    don't need to reinvent the wheel again - I'd much prefer to start
    chewing through my logs using Perl and XML::Simple rather than writing
    and debugging another parser, particularly since there will be the usual
    enjoyable edge cases when people want to log complex data structures
    (e.g. anomalous RPC requests or serialized objects) or Unicode text.
    (There is one but trivial property I'd like in any format - end tags
    make it easy to see whether you have truncated records)

    I'd like to see people logging in XML but with a simple DTD - say the
    same  20 fields you mentioned with a well defined procedure for defining
    additional elements like what the IANA does for registered ports.

    No matter what format we use, what we really need is application
    support - in particular, some sort of transparent replacement for syslog
    and some free logging modules for the popular languages which make it
    very easy for programmers to give sysadmins the sort of verbose log
    entries we need to solve problems.

    Chris