Re: [logs] What's normal?

From: bretwatsonat_private
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 17:29:12 PDT

    Tina Bird <tbird@precision-guesswork.com> 20/08/2002 10:35 PM
    Sent by: loganalysis-adminat_private

    Look, everyone, presumably at least some of us have access to log data on
    a "live server."  I posit that we'll learn really really interesting
    things by taking a day's or a week's worth of data and looking at the
    messages.  We're not building a standard here, I'm after quick and dirty.
    Guidance for someone just starting out.

    hmm we are about to try and get our syslog-ng logs to integrate with Tivoli
    Risk Manager... guess we'll be doing exactly what you are talking about -
    building a basic template of what is "normal" (my pref - Marcus' artificial
    ignorance method..) and teaching RM what it should look for..

    I'll keep y'all posted :}..

    Cheers,

    Bret

    [This e-mail is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
    intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should
    not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other
    person. Thank you.]