Re: [logs] resettable "normal"

From: Jeremy Mates (jmatesat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 21:47:49 PDT

    * Paul Ebersman <list-log-analysisat_private> [2002-08-20T12:09-0700]:
    > Those are pretty easy to come up with and alarm on. The tricky part is
    > noticing *changes* and deciding which changes are worth worrying
    > about. If I normally get 200 ssh probes an hour and I suddenly go down
    > to 20, what happened? If the number of incoming HTTP requests triples
    > in 20 minutes, what happened?

    Why usually requires a human ("ergh, being /.'ed").  To be notified of
    changes, facts would need to be logged at small enough time intervals
    so that something running calculations on the facts could report on
    the changes over time, and the rate of change.

    I have not looked at doing this seriously, but I have seen MRTG graphs
    of a server room whose cooling failed-- they had thresholds set, which
    triggered the alarm-- but there was a definite curve on the graph
    before the threshold was hit that should have been warned about.

    For less dramatic situations, one could set a threshold, and have the
    calculating agent tell you how long it would be before the threshold
    is hit at the current rate.  This would be better for areas that
    change slowly (disk space usage, for instance), or in the case of the
    temperature example where the room might be sneaking up on the
    threshold due to a partial failure of chilling-- one could see that
    the temperature slope has been positive for the last N minutes.

    --
    Jeremy Mates                                        http://www.sial.org/