Re: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Greg Black (gjbat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 00:09:35 PDT

    Chris Adams wrote:

    | No matter what format we use, what we really need is application
    | support - in particular, some sort of transparent replacement for syslog
    | and some free logging modules for the popular languages which make it
    | very easy for programmers to give sysadmins the sort of verbose log
    | entries we need to solve problems.

    If it were only that simple -- many of the logs that we need to
    take into consideration are generated by our OS or by utilities
    that come with the OS and most of those use syslog and have
    their traditional log message formats which won't be changed in
    any kind of hurry.  Whatever we do just has to take those logs
    into consideration because we need to be able to make use of the
    information they contain -- even if we do manage to persuade the
    application authors to move to a new wonderful way of logging.

    Greg