RE: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Anton A. Chuvakin (antonat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 06:39:05 PDT

    Hello Andrew and all,

    >Create an open source parser/converter that takes current vendor
    >messages and converts them into the new "standard" tokenized format. A
    Well, you are aware how huge the task is, aren't you? And how boring
    (=likely unsuitable for community development) large parts of it are?
    Especially the maintaining and updating part. I guess you have a rough
    estimate of how many different messages are produced by all modern fw,
    ids, vpns, hosts, misc security appliances etc...

    >database of conversion scripts (using RegExp or other tools) could be
    >maintained by the user community and vendors. As new syslog enabled
    Hmmm, by vendors? What is the benefit for an individual security product
    vendor in doing this?

    >devices are made available, the vendors would offer the new standard
    >tokenized format instead.
    That is an example of fixing what works - so, again, how would you
    motivate vendors to move to a "new" syslog devices?

    >The WELF (Webtrends extended logging format) is a good start, but it
    >only has tokens for firewall type messages.
    Well, the main challenge here seems to be developing the format that can
    equally effectively accomodate various devices, not just firewalls...

    Overall, cool  idea, but reeeeally hard to implement.

    Best,
    --
      Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA
         http://www.chuvakin.org