Re: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Raistlin (raistlinat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 11:13:27 PDT

    > Since I have a background in physics I am not sure whether we can define
    > state changes for applications or operating systems.

    We can surely DEFINE state changes for any computer application. If we can
    deduce WHEN the state changes by observing the log messages, is a simple
    matter of how the former relates to the latter.

    Perhaps some hints on the definitions of "state" in a security-related term
    can be drawn from the scientific papers describin STAT, an intrusion
    detection system developed at UCSB. Look it up.

    Stefano "Raistlin" Zanero
    System Administrator Gioco.Net
    public PGP key block at http://gioco.net/pgpkeys