Re: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 11:30:05 PDT

    >> Since I have a background in physics I am not sure whether we can
    >> define state changes for applications or operating systems.
    >
    > We can surely DEFINE state changes for any computer application. If we
    > can deduce WHEN the state changes by observing the log messages, is a
    > simple matter of how the former relates to the latter.

    I am at this very minute working on a lay-man's description of operating
    systems and state changes, based on the non-lay-man's description in
    Andrew Gross' Ph.D thesis.  I will post the informal draft to the list
    maybe as early as later today, but soon, anyhow.  I'm trying to establish
    a common vocabulary, not trying to convince anyone that this is the only
    way to do things -- hopefully it will be a good way to get us to agree on
    a definition!

    tbird