RE: Re[2]: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Ogle Ron (Rennes) (Ron.Ogleat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 03:22:28 PDT

    It definitely sounds like a religious war starting.

    There's the XML can fix it all folks and the defined format works for me
    folks.

    To the XML folks, here's the possibilities for each piece of information:
    Options for a timestamp:
    <timestamp>0123456789</timestamp>
    <ts>0123456789</ts>
    timestamp=0123456789
    ts=0123456789

    To the defined format works folks:
    Options for a timestamp:
    0123456789

    The difference is that for the human or the computer, you define/program the
    entity to understand that a timestamp is the value between the <timestamp>
    or <ts> tags or after the timestamp= or ts= tags for XML folks or is the
    value between location x and x+10 for event Y for the defined format folks.

    Either way a parser is involved and either way humans and computers can
    "understand" the value of 'timestamp'.  Just as most people and newer
    software knows what this :) means.

    I believe what it comes down to is how much resources are we willing to use
    for the perceived value that is returned.  The XML folks perceive the value
    of encapsulating data is worth the additional resources used to capture the
    same information.

    Personally, I still truly believe that simple is best and smaller is better.
    This has typically proved to be true in the security domain of which I am
    employed.  This has typically also been true for the Internet in general
    such as SMTP vs. X.400, LDAP vs. X.500, TCP/IP vs. OSI, etc.  This isn't to
    say that those other solutions weren't more elegant and couldn't handle more
    possibilities, but they weren't as simple to implement.

    As this probably won't settle anything, the only solution seems to be to
    create two competing IETF drafts and see who wins.

    Ron Ogle
    Rennes, France

    ..