Re: Re[2]: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 06:31:47 PDT

    >Unless, you get rid of UDP totally for a transport for log messages
    >(completely destroying backward syslog compatibility),

    Farg backwards compatibility. A logging system that uses unreliable
    delivery mechanisms is not worth using.

    See some of my early postings in this list regarding syslog/UDP and
    data dropping under load to get an idea how truly bad UDP syslog is.
    Then ask yourself, "who'd want to be backward compatible to _that_?"

    mjr.
    (NOTE: on Wed/Thursday I lost my entire day's email. If you
    sent me a reply to my "token list" posting I probably lost it.)
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private