Re: Re[2]: [logs] Logging: World Domination

From: Anton A. Chuvakin (antonat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 08:46:25 PDT

    Marcus and all,

    >>Unless, you get rid of UDP totally for a transport for log messages
    >>(completely destroying backward syslog compatibility),
    >Farg backwards compatibility. A logging system that uses unreliable
    >delivery mechanisms is not worth using.
    Hmmm, that _SOUNDS_ really cool. However, many people seem to consciously
    choose syslog UDP over well-designed encrypted XML-over-TCP for various
    weird reasons.  As a part of my job, I have to deal with it sometimes. I
    am surprised, but often can't do anything about it.

    Best,
    --
      Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA
         http://www.chuvakin.org