Re: [logs] tokens and layouts...

From: Jason Haar (Jason.Haarat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 18:14:39 PDT

    On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 02:57:39PM +1200, Russell Fulton wrote:
    > 2/ Some machines are constantly sync'ed using NTP some sync'ed on boot,
    > some are not sync'ed at all.  Having that information included with the
    > log file could be useful if at some time in the future you need to do
    > correlations with other files.  If you don't know how accurate the
    > clocks are it is dam near impossible.

    I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but are you commenting on how
    syslog logs the timestamp according to the client instead of the server for
    each record?

    If that's so, use syslog-ng which allows you to override that so that each
    syslog record has the current timestamp of the syslog server instead of the
    time of the client:

    destination d_messages {
            file("/var/log/messages"
    	template("$R_DATE $HOST $MSG\n")
    	create_dirs(yes)
    };

    We're running centralized logging systems world-wide. Without this feature,
    our syslog messages would be next to useless.

    Oh yeah - UTC is a Good Thing too! :-)

    --
    Cheers

    Jason Haar
    Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417