Re: [logs] tokens and layouts...

From: Ron Ogle (ron.ogleat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 11:12:46 PDT

    A best practice should be to use NTP with the security validation turned
    on with the time source available from within the local environment.
    However, this should not preclude sites which do not or cannot use NTP
    or similar timing system from having a meaningful logging experience.

    There should always be two timestamps, one from the client and one from
    the "trusted" logging server.  The reason is that a client's time could
    be easily manipulated by an attacker to hide intrusion attempts even if
    they ran NTP.  Normally, the time variation between client and server
    should be minimal and closely related to network delay as Chris points
    out.  Variations in timestamps longer than X should be reported as an
    anomaly itself.

    The timestamp format in itself should be either GMT/UTC (to provide a
    smaller length) or should provide local time and a timezone correction.
      This way whatever the site administrator wishes to use as a time
    reference (global or local) could be created.  As most machines use UTC
    and a timezone correction to provide local time, this should be an
    "easy" fix.

    Ron Ogle
    Rennes, France

    Chris Adams wrote:
    > On Monday, Aug 26, 2002, at 19:57 US/Pacific, Russell Fulton wrote:
    >
    >> 2/ Some machines are constantly sync'ed using NTP some sync'ed on boot,
    >> some are not sync'ed at all.  Having that information included with the
    >> log file could be useful if at some time in the future you need to do
    >> correlations with other files.  If you don't know how accurate the
    >> clocks are it is dam near impossible.

    ..