[logs] what to log/what to look for: stateful log analysis?

From: Anton Chuvakin (antonat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 07:02:53 PDT

    Hello Tina and all,

    I understand that we haven't yet reached anything remotely resembling a
    conclusion on "what to log" ;-) But Tina also suggested that the
    discussion should touch the "what is normal to see in the logs".  I was
    looking at some PIX logs the other day, and it occurred to me that people
    often attempt to classify "what is normal/abnormal" on a line by line
    basis.

    That reminded me of the packet filters->stateful firewall analogy.  The
    former looks at each packet individually while the latter looks at the
    connection. It would be really nice to have a "stateful log inspection"
    which looks not at the individual events, but at their logical sequences.

    In this way, classifying what is normal/anomalous for the environment
    might be more realizable and more accurate, then simply thinking "Is this
     'connection denied' message Ok?". I know of at least one open source tool
    that allows one to easily look at more than one event (SEC). However,
    while providing a flexible engine for this, the tool doesn't solve the
    main problem. Namely, WHICH sequences of events to look for.

    To conclude, I suspect that it will be easier to define "bad sequences"
    than inherently "bad events". And the next step will be to have it done in
    a normalized way, e.g. 'successful login after 5 failed logins', no matter
    WHERE the user tries to login.

    Thoughts?

    Best,
    --