RE: [logs] what to log/what to look for: stateful log analysis?

From: Kohlenberg, Toby (toby.kohlenbergat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 16:37:43 PDT

    I don't know if it is so much the specific sequences in all cases.
    It is probably more categories of sequences- it doesn't matter if it
    is ssh or rsh or telnet or ftp, large numbers of failed logins are
    interesting, service crashes followed by logins with a root-priv account
    are interesting...

    The large task here is creating the categories and then mapping between them
    and the actual event names.