RE: [logs] PIX logging

From: yehuda (yehudaat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 10:10:00 PDT

    to prevent your local4 logs from going to /var/log/messages, add the
    following to your syslog.conf:
    local4.none		/var/log/messages

    you can just tack it on the end of the line for /var/log/messages - for
    example:
    *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;local5.none;local4.none  /var/log/messages

    if you want to rename your log file each night, you can call a script from
    your logrotate.conf
    ( or for redhat, /etc/logrotate.d/syslog)
    for example:

    /var/log/messages {
    daily
        postrotate
            /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd;
            mv /var/log/messages.1 /var/log/messages$(date +%Y%m%d)
        endscript
    }

    here's a quick n dirty script for deleting old log files:
    ------------- begin script
    #!/bin/bash

    oldstuff=$(date +%m|sed 's/^0//')
    case $oldstuff in
            1) oldstuff=10;;
            2) oldstuff=11;;
            3) oldstuff=12;;
            *) oldstuff=$[$oldstuff-3];;
    esac
    rm /var/log/messages$[$(date +%Y)-1]$oldstuff*
    rm /var/log/messages$(date +%Y)$oldstuff*
    ---------- end script

    I haven't tested this script, so make sure to test it before putting it into
    production.