RE: [logs] what to log/what to look for: stateful log analysis?

From: Anton Chuvakin (antonat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 13:27:45 PDT

    Toby and all,

    >There are a bunch of engines that can do this
    Yes, that certainly is true, but what about the fuel for those engines?
    Actually, not only the fuel is missing; also the roadway and the map ;-)

    >The real trick is the nomenclature stuff, IMHO.
    That is exactly my point! The HOW is better developed than WHAT in this
    case. But is it really realistic to just ask _everybody_ what sequences of
    events they look for while doing log analysis and then create a
    comprehensive database of them...? To me, this sounds like an
    insurmountable task...

    Best,
    --
      Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA