[logs] compress log error (was PIX logging)

From: Allen Crawford (AllenCat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 08:13:25 PDT

    Ok, I've got the PIX logging working now I believe.  I had to create a
    separate logrotate script and run it at a specific time (11:55pm) because I
    just realized that the daily cron job was running at 4:02 pm, which isn't
    when I want my Cisco logs to be rotated.

    Anyway, the only problem I'm having now is getting them to compress.  Here's
    the logrotate script for the PIX that I'm using:

    /var/log/cisco_pix_515e/pix {
    	daily
    	rotate 4
    	create
    	compress
    	   postrotate
    	      /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd; mv
    /var/log/cisco_pix_515e/pix.1 /var/log/cisco_pix_515e/pix$(date +%Y%m%d)
    	   endscript
    }

    For testing I'm calling it with the following line:

    logrotate -f /etc/cisco_pix_515e_logrotate_script

    After running that, it rotates it correctly and starts logging to the new
    file.  However, with the compress line left in the script, I get the
    following error:

    gzip: /var/log/cisco_pix_515e/pix.1: No such file or directory
    failed to compress log /var/log/cisco_pix_515e/pix.1

    Any tips on what I am doing wrong here?

    Thanks a lot,
    Allen