Re: [logs] Fight Back

From: Ganu Skop (skopganuat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 21:01:06 PDT

    Hi,
    To make it simple ; I'm pretty much looking at how to
    detect what kind of tool the intruder used , say that
    in scanning my network or crawling my homepage , the
    question is - does he use nmap or queso ? does he use
    nikto , cybercop or nessus ?
    Snort will detect say that Nmap TCP scan and -sS scan
    - but it's still limited. I really would love to know
    what tool the intruder used.
    any idea ?

    --- H C <keydet89at_private> wrote:

    > > I could not recall if there is any discussion on
    > the
    > > matter regarding detecting a tool that is used for
    > > _doing_evil_stuff.
    >
    > It all depends on what you call "evil stuff".
    >
    > > What  I am trying to do is ;  to be able to detect
    > > what kind of tool that is used in
    > > probing/scanning/evil_stuff.
    >
    > I don't see the correlation between probing and
    > scanning, and "evil_stuff".
    >
    > > Most IDS will detect if there is hping2, nmap ,
    > > cybercop. But what abt other ? such as nemesis and
    > > most of web scanner such as stealth, screaming
    > > cobra, nikto ?
    > > I really hope to be able to sort out what kind of
    > > command that is used when an intruder uses nmap (
    > be
    > > it nmap -sX, -sS , -sT and etc)
    >
    > If you're using snort, I'm sure you can find the
    > signatures for these scans.
    >
    > However, it's still not clear to me what you're
    > looking for.  So what if someone scans you?  Is it
    > consuming an inordinate amount of bandwidth, and
    > preventing your customers from communicating w/ you?
    >
    > I watch an IIS server that gets scanned all the
    > time...with no luck.  Basically, the scans give me
    > something to look at in the log files, and nothing
    > else...

    > http://faith.yahoo.com

    =====
    //skopganu