Re: [logs] Fight Back

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 05:20:14 PDT

    Ganu,

    So basically, if I understand what you're saying,
    you're not really so much looking for "evil stuff" as
    you are trying to identify the tool being
    used...correct?

    Given that there maybe several tools that can do what
    nmap does, in a similar manner, and given that any
    combination of switches can be used in nmap - there is
    even a switch to randomize IP addresses in a scan -
    one would think that it would be difficult to
    determine.

    However...have you tried looking at the snort
    signatures?  Snort is a freeware IDS, and has
    preprocessors (configurable) for portscans, etc, as
    well as signatures for a wide range of vulnerabilities
    and issues.  One would think that this would be a
    great place to start.

    I'm still not clear on why you're so interested in the
    tool being used.  For example, I review various logs
    on a daily basis.  On web servers, my only interest is
    any traffic that (a) isn't ordinary (since the server
    is locked down and only used for a specific purpose,
    this is easy to do), and (b) returns a 200-series
    response code.  If some kiddie wants to run an
    automated scanning tool against a system, and just
    wait while 4xx and 5xx responses are returned...who
    cares?  I don't.  I couldn't care less if some kiddie
    has figured out how to install and run Nessus...these
    days, such a thing isn't an indicator of technical
    proficiency at all.