RE: [logs] what is normal ?

From: Dale.Drewat_private
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 10:06:52 PST

    Log analysis, in-of-itself, isn't enough.    You need to be able to look for
    "abnormal" patterns in log data, couple that with some analysis policies
    (sliding time windows, counts, correlation, etc) and be able to query the
    end system for false positive analysis.

    Having an IDS that can talk to a Host Assessment product is "a good
    thing"(tm), in the sense that if you see abnormal behavior, your IDS can
    query the host assessment daemon on the end-client and run "false positive"
    check to ensure the activity isn't associated with a malicious user (eg;
    check for root kits, hidden directories, etc...),

    Likewise, if you run a light-forensic module, then you can analyze data
    offline for possible user infractions (eg; collect user histories, lsof
    output, etc).

    Dale

    "SUCCESS THROUGH TEAMWORK"
    Dale Drew
    Director, Global Security/AAA Engineering & Architecture
    Level(3) Communications, LLC
    720-888-2963 | dale.drewat_private

    =====
    //skopganu