Re: [logs] Secure Central Log Host

From: Christina Noren (cfrlnat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 12:12:33 PST

    >     MJR> I've left the whole "...and stick it in a database" part out
    >     MJR> because that's a HARD problem to tackle right and I think that
    >     MJR> will be the bulk of your pain. Hint: before you think about
    >     MJR> putting it into a database, ask yourself "what queries will I
    >     MJR> want to make?" and see if it's even possible to make a data
    >     MJR> model that will allow them...
    >
    > Yeah, again, everyone wants to "put it all in a database", but often
    > without having a reason to do so.  Databases trade performance and
    > scalability for superior data handling (e.g. searching and
    > correlation).  What kind of database engine (HW and SW) is it going to
    > take to handle transaction streams from a few hundred machines that
    > are each generating 10K logs records/sec (think e-commerce web
    > servers)?  (Hint: Your Sun salesperson will *love* that new E-server
    > sale...)
    >
    > --
    > Tom E. Perrine <tepat_private> | San Diego Supercomputer Center
    > http://www.sdsc.edu/~tep/     |

    Hi all,

    had to jump in on this- I run systems consulting at Addamark, and the
    problem of economically writing logs to a queryable db is what we deal with.
    Most of our customers generate 10's-100's of GB of logs per day, both
    security & web traffic, and writing to a database is impractical and often
    impossible. There are few relational databases out there that are more than
    1TB in size, and they demand very expensive SMP hardware. Yet security
    analysts, security apps & managers often want to do a lot of ad hoc
    querying, so having to run custom scripting against flat logfiles for each
    new analysis becomes pretty impractical. Log reporting packages tend to
    offer only a few summaries and not support ad hoc investigations. Indeed, as
    Marcus points out , this is the hard part even though a lot of people start
    out saying "I'm just going to dump it to a database."

    The Addamark Log Management System turns the filesystem itself into a
    database. It stores log data as compressed files segregated in a b-tree
    index on time, with an SQL front end for querying. Because we parse the logs
    for each time segment into columns with more data redundancy than full rows
    we actually use less disk than gzipping flat files. Our engine runs on
    clusters of Linux PC's, with full parallelism in  both load & query
    processing & distribution of data storage. So you get even more storage
    efficiency and write performance than flat files with the queryability of a
    relational database.

    And to the question of whether a database model will support the queries, in
    addition to standard SQL, we allow customers to develop user-defined
    functions and aggregates in perl. For example, if you want to match a
    signature pattern that may show a long-term attack reflected in logs across
    firewalls, routers, servers & apps, you can make a perl function that
    evaluates each user's activity and returns the users that match the pattern.
    Pretty hard to do in SQL alone.

    Hope this helps

    Christina

    Christina Noren