Re: [logs] Secure Central Log Host

From: Jebediah Obediah Zacharia Jenediah Springfield (nateat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 14:23:21 PST

    Christina Noren(cfrlnat_private)@Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:12:33PM -0800:

    > The Addamark Log Management System turns the filesystem itself into a
    > database. It stores log data as compressed files segregated in a b-tree
    > index on time, with an SQL front end for querying. Because we parse the logs
    > for each time segment into columns with more data redundancy than full rows
    > we actually use less disk than gzipping flat files. Our engine runs on
    > clusters of Linux PC's, with full parallelism in  both load & query
    > processing & distribution of data storage. So you get even more storage
    > efficiency and write performance than flat files with the queryability of a
    > relational database.

    Me too! :)

    I'm preparing to import my central loghost's log archive into a Addamark
    cluster we have at work. Our data warehouse people are quite happy with
    Addamark, and talked me into using it. It seems to be a good fit for
    what I need of a log repository.

    I mention this so that people don't just write off what Christina said
    as just vendor hype.
    --
    Nate Campi  Wired UNIX Operations  TerraLycos DNS Operations

    Every man has one thing he can do better than anyone else;
    usually it is reading his own handwriting (G.Norman Collie)