Re: [logs] Secure Central Log Host

From: Paul D. Robertson (probertsat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 19:12:16 PST

    On 2 Dec 2002, Florin Andrei wrote:

    > How about the legal aspects of it? Will it be possible to use a database
    > log in court, just like using a flat text log?

    I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the 'Net, so take this with a
    grain of salt[1]...

    There's technically not much difference between a database engine "log"
    and a filesystem "database" log- how they're made and how they're used and
    how easy it is to show that event X creates log record Y.  Test it,
    regularly generate reports based on it (in the U.S. a regular report is
    a business record, and therefore relatively easily admissable, as are most
    "machine records" produced under normal circumstances.)

    Now, under some circumstances, if something ever gets to a jury, it may be
    the piece of confusion that a defense lawyer needs to sway a jury- a lot
    of that will depend on your ability to stand up an expert witness who's
    not talking over the jury's head.  But they could try the same tactic on
    network-based log servers, filesystems, etc.  A lot of the stuff comes
    down to having an explaination of how it all works that 12 of your dumbest
    lusers could understand.

    Bottom line, storing the information in a database shouldn't materially
    change its admissability- which is the part you have the most control
    over.  Without tests, validation and a clear explaination of how it all
    works, the results of that evidence are a different matter all-together.
    By producing regular reports, you may increase the admissability of any
    logs- in a database or not (though, I'd probably consider reporting out of
    a database a better idea than normal, just so you can present the evidence
    in raw *and* readable format.)

    Now, there is one important thing to ponder about central log servers and
    logs- if you're presenting the original evidence in court, what's taking
    that disk/machine out of production going to do to your network?  If
    you're compelled to produce the actual log, rather than a copy- can you do
    that easily, without major interruption?  Can you pull it *during* an
    event or an investigation and not miss out on additional badness coming
    from other vectors (hint- hot-swappable mirrored drives are your friend?)

    Paul
    [1] Check with your legal counsel, seriously- it's good to have them
    already in the loop, and explaining to them how it all works is good
    practice.