RE: [logs] SDSC Secure Syslog

From: Marcus J. Ranum (mjrat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 11:49:20 PST

    Rainer Gerhards wrote:
    >Do they see any chance for a "SSYSLOG" protocol - meaning a "simple"
    >syslog protocol based on TCP but the focus being on simple, that is no
    >beep and the like.

    Server syslog is, unfortunately, not the problem. :( It's easy
    to roll-out arbitrarily goofy and complicated stuff in the servers -
    let the standards guys worry about that - the True Hell of Syslog
    is going to be in the client apps. Right now, everything logs
    arbitrary strings. At the time, it probably seemed like a good
    idea, and the most flexible approach. Unfortunately, the ability
    to write arbitrary untagged data has made syslog nearly useless
    and spawned an industry of application-specific log parsing.

    If we want to achieve "bang for the buck" in syslogging,
    we'd worry less about the transport and more about the
    contents of what is initially logged. Back a few months ago
    I posted a token dictionary that Paul Robertson and I worked
    up as part of the now-defunct Fargo project. Basically, the
    idea was to tag components of messages with significance and some
    rudimentary information intended to make them easier to parse
    on the backend. Nothing fancy, but more along the lines of:
    [GMT date/time][GMToffset] RAWMSG=string, IPSRC=blah, SEVERITY=foo,
    PATHNAME=blah, APPLICATION=sendmail
    etc.  The dictionary used need not be large, complex, or complete,
    but it'd make huge strides in the right direction because the
    rest of the parse rule could be MUCH more accurately matched based
    on the presence and content of the various tokens.

    But to do this would entail visiting the source for EVERY APPLICATION
    that logs, and changing every line of code that generates logs.
    I just can't see that happening any time soon. :(  There are ways
    it could be made evolutionary:
    stick the raw syslog message string into field RAWMSG
    add APIs that let you cluster better info along with the syslog()
    function call and write a new wrapper, then try to get people to use
    it.

    However, I don't think people care enough about getting logging
    right to pay the cost in time to implement client-code changes.
    They'd rather pay the cost in gigantic kludgy post-processing
    based on string tokenization - which means having a _duplicate_
    syslog knowledge-base to unparse the arbitrary strings. If you
    think about it for a second, it'd be harder to imagine a stupider
    way to go about doing logging - but that's where we're headed.

    mjr.
    ---
    Marcus J. Ranum				http://www.ranum.com
    Computer and Communications Security	mjrat_private