RE: [logs] Log archival

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhardsat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 11:40:02 PST

    > I've read around that several implementations support some
    > sort of hash for modification detection, could someone point
    > me to the specs for these hash systems? are they based on a
    > standard (rfc?)

    There is a RFC on MD5

        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt

    However, I wonder if MD5 will acutally help in court as long it is not
    protected inside a crypt sig - somebody out there with an opinion on
    this?

    You might also find this link helpful in general:

        http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/usamarch2001_4.htm

    Rainer Gerhards
    Adiscon