RE: [logs] Log archival

From: Blaise St-Laurent (bstlaurentat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 14:39:19 PST

    > > My current thoughts are :
    > > 	* they should be archived to tamper proof (write once)
    > media, such as CD-
    > > or DVD-R.
    >
    > Many people share this view. It's pricey, but doable. It may be
    > cheaper to instead engineer good secure off-site replication to a
    > site so tightly secured and monitored that it can be defended as
    > "tamper-resistent". This may be cheaper than archiving all your log
    > data to slow, small media.

    The volume of logs i'm presently dealing with allow this to be feasible. I'm
    not anticipating having to change disks more then once a week (something
    that can be worked into regular schedules) The backup system being used here
    is not secure however, and i don't think i've got the time or the energy to
    figure out a way to secure it.

    > > 	* they should have as a minimum a hash applied and stored
    > with them (how to
    > > implement is the question)
    >
    > I've not pursued that line of research myself, but I'm pretty sure I
    > remember some papers from Bruce Schneier about it. Can't seem to
    > turn 'em up on a search of counterpane.com, though. Google did turn
    > up an email[1] with some references. I've not seen an appealing
    > implementation of this stuff, though; key management is a pain. If
    > you have to securely hold a key on a logging machine, you have to
    > secure that machine. If you've done that, then I'd rather just treat
    > it as tamper-resistent in its own right:-).

    What are the PEO features of msyslog for then? i was under the impression
    that this was the primary goal of them.

    > > 	* They should ideally be organized for easy perusing.
    >
    > If I were trying to build such a lashup, I'd _definitely_ decouple
    > this one from the "write-once media" aspect. Browsing huge numbers
    > of slow disks is no fun. I'd maybe discuss alternatives for how to
    > make the 'tamper-resistent logs', but I think it's inarguable that
    > for nice browsing you want online archives on big fast disk, stored
    > in compressed files, with helper indices to enable fast searching
    > for what you want. One possible reasonable approach is full-text
    > indexing on the messages, plus auxiliary indices with something like
    > cdb hashes for the fixed fields of interest.
    >
    > My own preference would be to identify just a couple of indexing
    > criteria (host, day), and store logfiles like YYYY/mm/dd/hostname.bz2,
    > where the violently compressed logfiles have the arrival timestamps
    > in high-resolution prepended to them, in a nice format for sorting
    > --- I like UTC ISO 8601 mostly, although that "T" is butt-ugly, and
    > I replace it with a space, or a dash if I want a single field with
    > no internal whitespace. Before compressing, generate full-text
    > indices over the files. Then it's easy to script up whatever search
    > you need, and with nicely sortable arrivale-time-stamps it's easy to
    > reconstruct various merged logs from various sets of files.

    This is more along the lines of what i was looking at.. probably something
    similar to what syslog-ng currently does, e.g. /YYYY/MM/DD/HOST/Service. I'm
    assuming most syslog implementations can handle this (e.g. SDSC when it's
    released as a final, msyslog, syslog-ng)

    Thanks for the info!