[logs] Log archival

From: Blaise St-Laurent (bstlaurentat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 08:26:15 PST

    I'm in the process of setting up a centralized log server here, and i was
    wondering, from a potential forensics point of view, what are the
    requirements for archiving logs such that they are maximally useful down the
    road.

    My current thoughts are :
    	* they should be archived to tamper proof (write once) media, such as CD-
    or DVD-R.
    	* they should have as a minimum a hash applied and stored with them (how to
    implement is the question)
    	* They should ideally be organized for easy perusing.

    Anything i'm missing?

    I've read around that several implementations support some sort of hash for
    modification detection, could someone point me to the specs for these hash
    systems? are they based on a standard (rfc?)

    Thanks a million,

    Blaise St-Laurent