Re: [logs] SDSC Secure Syslog

From: Christopher Lonvick (clonvickat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 18:58:43 PST

    Hi,

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Darren Reed wrote:

    > In some mail from Rainer Gerhards, sie said:
    > >
    > > Based on some recent discussion I had with Chris Lonvik (spawned of this
    > > list), I think this would be a good thing to bring to the IETF syslog WG
    > > (forgive me if it's already there - at least I haven't seen it).
    >
    > My understanding is that message format is outside the charter of
    > the current working group.

    That's very correct; it is outside the scope of the WG.  The first two
    attempts at getting a WG formed to address syslog got bogged down because
    they were trying to secure the transport, formalize the content fields,
    quantify the contents, visualize whirled peas, and describe a sure-fire
    way of finding the TV remote.  Essentially, they couldn't articulate
    attainable goals.  I gave it a shot in Adelaide and specifically placed
    the contents out of scope of the proposed WG.

    I've made the offer before of allowing discussion of any proposal to
    define a format for syslog messages on the WG mailing list.  However, any
    document coming from that discussion will not be a product of the WG.
    (Kind'a IETF legal-eze to say that it cannot get endorsement from the WG
    if/when it is presented to the IESG for consideration to turn it into an
    RFC.)

    Thanks,
    Chris