Re: [logs] SDSC Secure Syslog

From: Greg Black (gjbat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 17:12:04 PST

    "Kyle R. Hofmann" wrote:
    | On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:53:18 +1000, Greg Black wrote:
    | > Balazs Scheidler wrote:
    | >
    | > | Including time synchronization into the syslog protocol is not good. When
    | > | accurate timing is needed there's no match for ntpd.
    | >
    | > FSVO accurate.  If you mean accurate the way I mean it, ntpd
    | > just doesn't cut it.
    |
    | Please elaborate.

    If your reference ntp server is not on a local fast network, you
    will be lucky to achieve synchronisation better than ten to
    twenty milliseconds; if it's on a local fast network, you might
    manage to get within two or three milliseconds.

    If your hardware has better clocks than Intel boxes do, then you
    might manage slightly better results than these.  But you can't
    realistically expect to do much better with ntp without also
    investing in suitable clock hardware.

    Greg