Re: [logs] Filesystem for logging

From: Darren Reed (avalonat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 15:30:53 PST

    In some mail from listuser, sie said:

    > Now for a wierd idea, How about making an FS exclusievly for logging.
    > An FS which will not support any editing of data once written, ie only
    > appending, which computes a hash of each line and stores them seperatly
    > in another file etc. I am thinking about it now, may be, I might get
    > some time to try to implement atlest some part of it.

    In times gone by, there was a lot of emphasis by database products
    placed on using raw access to the disk and having disk partitions
    reserved for them on the basis that they could do the I/O quicker
    and in a more suitable fashion than could the OS.

    I'm not sure you'll find this to be that fashionable any more, not
    to mention that products such as MySQL don't function like this at
    all.

    Darren